Thursday, April 7, 2011

God's Poor Needs Me to Care

 By Leeanne Sy

“Cast all your anxieties on Him because He cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7)
I first read this verse not from the Bible since I only finished reading the Scripture when I was in my late 20s. I caught a glimpse of it somewhere in my old house almost 15 years ago. I diligently copied it since I liked copying quotes and inspirational messages as a child (and I still do), put some designs for art’s sake, and memorized the Scripture by heart in no time. Having been a worrywart, I posted it on the wall beside my bed where I would always see it to remind me to put all my apprehensions before the Lord. It worked for my insomnia then.
        Fifteen years later, I didn’t know that the same verse would lead me to my second ministry (my first has something to do with kids — my first love; hence, I joined the Awesome Kids Ministry more than three years ago) in my second community (my first was the Servants of the Lord’s Vineyard in Don Bosco, Makati which was introduced to me by a friend just before I graduated from college).
        How I joined the He Cares Ministry is not as melodramatic as how I joined the Awesome Kids Ministry. Nobody died (my favorite grandmother died before I joined the AKM which plunged me into depression); no heart was broken (my heart was shattered into a million pieces after two consecutive failed relationships before I joined the AKM); and no calling from God transpired (I heard God’s voice as I passed by the Angono and Baras Rooms back in Valle Verde Country Club on my way to the water closet). There was only the familiar face of depression which popped its ugly head in front of me (I felt sorry for myself and disillusioned for the umpteenth time because things didn’t go my way as what usually happens, and my melancholic temperament had a hard time accepting that I should be okay despite that) and only a simple yet persistent invitation from a former care group member who eventually became my friend and confidant. Just as I said yes to God’s calling to serve at the Awesome Kids Ministry, I finally said yes to my friend’s unwavering invite a week after the Leaders’ Gathering titled Huddle on the last Saturday of January.
        As the love month ushered in, I found myself gradually falling in love with God’s poor instead of condemning or judging them for their poverty thinking and plight or fearing them because of my share of encounters with snatchers and charlatans who had very few opportunities.
I can still vividly remember my first day of serving and committing my 3 T’s (time, treasure, and talent) to God’s poor. Bro. Joe Dean and Sis. Ardis Sola received me and the other volunteers to the new center with open arms, just as Tito Tom and Tita Rita Yokingco welcomed me in the Awesome Kids Ministry without qualms. My friends and I were first oriented by Ate Brenda Deyto on what to expect, which worked well for an OC/obsessive compulsive like me, and given a choice on which part of the program to serve. I volunteered to serve in the hygiene area since I regard myself as a classic OC.
I can’t believe that the children can be so dirty. It’s as if dirt has been their constant playmate. It was a very humbling experience since my companions and I had to bend and kneel down just to scrub the children’s filthy bodies and feet. It’s like a reenactment of Jesus’ washing of the feet which transpires on Maundy Thursday. After bathing the kids, I still had the energy to help in the kitchen, serve the food to the kids and parents, and clear the tables. It was a Saturday morning replete with service.
After rubbing elbows with God’s poor, I saw the need for more servants at He Cares Foundation and contemplated on leaving my first ministry to focus on my new mission. It didn’t occur to me that I can actually do both and have very fruitful weekends in the process.
My friend was right. After my close encounter with the poor, I have no right to complain to God about my current plight at home. I am far blessed than my fellow brethren who live in the cruel streets of Quezon City.
        Two months after I said yes to God’s calling guised as my friend’s invite, I find myself looking forward to my Saturday mornings. Giving the children some bath is my only form of exercise now (aside from brisk walking), for I don’t get to jog or run every weekend morning anymore like I used to. I also gained some friends through the support group assigned to me. I thank God for anointing me to teach these children, touch their hearts, and transform their lives in my own little ways, just like St. Therese of the Child Jesus, Blessed Mother Teresa, and St. John Baptist de la Salle (patron saint of teachers) — my idols. I found my own Calcutta at He Cares.
        Caring for God’s poor is more than an outreach for me now. It has become my lifestyle. Goodbye to the nonchalant me! I also tend to forget about my obsessive compulsiveness whenever I’m at the center because I have to get my hands soiled once in a while. Indeed, God is using my weaknesses to advance His Kingdom on earth.
        The words of my RELSFOR (Religion 4 which inculcated social responsibility in my young mind) professor ring true more than ever now: “Live simply so that others may simply live.”

No comments:

Post a Comment