Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Perfect Love Casts Out All Fear


Perfect Love Casts Out All Fear by Tina Alejandro

This verse from 1 John 4:18 sums up my early days serving the children in He Cares Foundation. 

It all started one day when my friend in deep financial and spiritual need approached me for help.  I was overwhelmed by her concern and didn't know what I could do.  Slowly through mega doses of divine inspiration, I helped her find work that sustained her whole family.

This experience gave me an indescribable joy at what God did through me despite my various limitations.  This was only the start.

During this time, whenever I read the Bible, many times the Lord made words about serving the poor jump out at me and strike my heart.  I could not ignore it, but I couldn't understand it either.  I asked the Lord several times what this was all about.

Then I was given the chance to visit relatives in Australia.  One morning before boarding a train to do some sightseeing, I prayed that I be used by God in some way. A pretty lady suddenly talked to me and asked where I was from. She and I started to have a chat, and then after the ride we parted our separate ways. All I found out was that she’s a Christian.

The day went on and we boarded a train in another location.  Though Melbourne is not a small city, that same lady, out of so many different train carriages and schedules once again boarded the same train I was in. Both of us got flabbergasted at the coincidence! 

At once, I knew in my heart this was a divine appointment and that the Lord was doing something. She and I talked some more and though I can't remember everything we talked about, I remember her saying "Is it true that children beg in your streets?  I want to go and serve the children." 

I saw in her eyes, for the very first time in my life, how very wrong that was. Growing up surrounded by poverty in Manila, I was desensitized to the children tapping at car windows and selling sampaguita. She who lived so far away wanted to serve the children when I never thought of doing that. 

I came home a different person, but I was replete with fear. I was afraid to go to slum areas. I was afraid to talk to a street person. I was afraid of being mobbed or taken advantage of. I was simply afraid of the unknown.

But I asked the Lord for grace and for His love for the poor to fill my heart.  That my heart be closer to His heart. God is good because He replaced bits of fear with bits of love, and little by little I was able to have more opportunities to serve the poor, His more treasured people.

I know that they and I are the same.  I could be them; they could be me. They are God's family. They are not the poor but they are my family. I must do everything I can for them to see their worth in God's eyes. That they are His treasured possession and that His will for them is abundance and fullness of life.

These days, it is only through God's grace and mercy that I am able to serve and be filled with more joy than I can ever imagine. When I visit their homes, talk to them, laugh with them and get surrounded by them, I know I am at the center of God's perfect love.

No comments:

Post a Comment