Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Enthusiasm Personified

Last May 14, I was supposed to teach the topic on enthusiasm to the street children, but then I knew I’d be coming from a 5k run in Fairview, so I told Daryl that I had to pass since I might arrive late. I was surprised when I learned on a weekday that he’d be teaching since Bro. JB, another regular teacher at He Cares who has a knack for hosting and engaging the kids, couldn’t grace us with his presence.
I arrived at past 8, so I took the backseat. Watching Daryl, my spiritual son, lead praise and worship made my heart swell with pride. Through the years, he has grown leaps and bounds in his spirituality. He first became my CG (Care Group) member last 2009. He was the first of the opposite sex I pastored. The sex difference rattled me at first since I came from the batch of Esthers (Light of Jesus sisters) wherein the sisters were separated from the brothers (Joshuas) during chapter and CG meetings, but it had not been much of an issue to me. As with my other CGs, God brought our CG together. We were all bonded by our brokenness and woundedness. Believe it or not, my petite stature intimidated Daryl’s gigantic figure at first, but that didn’t stop him from asking a naïve question during one of our CG meetings. “How do you finish reading a Bible?” I gave him my best answer — consistency is the key. I also provided some tips on how I finished reading my own Bible. Right there and then, I knew that he’d go far. I saw the fire (enthusiasm to be of service to others) burning in his eyes. I even prophesied that he’d make a great worship leader. Now, he rubs elbows with prominent LOJ figures such as Bro. Joe Dean and Sis. Ardis Sola, Bro. Obet Cabrillas, Bro. Eng Si, Bro. Alvin Barcelona among others.
As his former CG Head, I feel proud that the guy who once asked me a simple question is the same man who decided to say yes to God’s call to be a full-time missionary. He supported me in our CG’s first outreach at He Cares Foundation two years ago. His lower CG was full force when we had a culminating activity at Anawim (home for the abandoned elderly) in 2010, so when Bro. Joe Dean asked if I’d be going to Montalban with Daryl that day, it was my turn to support him.
On the way to He Cares Montalban, Daryl asked me to share my life testimony in the prayer meeting. I wanted to take photos of the breathtaking sceneries while sitting beside him and Kuya Toto, but I was also busy mentally rehearsing my life testimony summarized in five to ten minutes, so the photos could wait (which means I have to go back there one of these days). I just wrote my life testimony years ago and even managed to have it published, and I had been preparing to share it in a community gathering someday, but it didn’t occur to me that my spiritual son would be the one to provide that opportunity. I thought Bro. Joe Dean would. It might be an impromptu sharing, but the Holy Spirit guided me.
Equally enthusiastic at He Cares Montalban were the mothers slaving away in front of the sewing machine from Monday to Saturday to augment their family income. They are headed by Ate Cecille Marquez and supervised by Ate Julie Bayron. After interviewing Ate Cecille for this blog entry, I learned about the different kinds of machines used for sewing: piping (double needle), edging (double needle), and high speed machines (used depending on the purpose). It was enlightening for me since sewing and I don’t jibe together. Putting Velcro in my bag one night took me three long hours just because I didn’t have a thimble available.
The suburban community at Block 17 Rodriguez, Rizal (also known as Erap City) was relocated from the squatter’s area in Project 6, Quezon City years ago. They were given a livelihood program by Bro. Joe Dean last April 7, 2010. The 13 sewers in the small factory get paid weekly depending on the number of hours they work and the type of machine they use. Aside from their daily allowance, they even have quota allowance as an incentive for those who can produce more output. Bro. Joe Dean wishes to duplicate this livelihood program to other communities. They have 19 machines in the small factory in Rizal— some are second hand; some are brand new. Aside from the 13 sewers in the factory, there are two mothers working outside with their own machines. He Cares Montalban is  in partnership with Growth Sales Enterprise in Pantranco in Quezon City which sells finished female toddler dresses and clothes to SM Malls under the brand name Baby Me. I am quite familiar with that brand since I sometimes buy clothes for my nieces and goddaughter at SM, and I can say that it’s of good quality. Thanks to Ate Julie’s supervision and quality control skills.
         More than a week after Daryl’s talk and a few days after my lecture about enthusiasm, I can say that I have imparted enough theories while Daryl put all those concepts into action. Together with the He Cares Montalban mothers, they are enthusiasm personified, and writing this blog entry is my way of honoring them.

No comments:

Post a Comment